In Tamil Nadu, the following infrastructure facilities are available for the implementation of various developmental activities of the department:
· 5 regional offices at Dharmapuri, Erode, Vellore, Trichy and Madurai, headed by Regional Joint / Deputy Directors
· To co-ordinate seed cocoon production, an office headed by a Deputy Director at Hosur (Krishnagiri District),
· 19 Assistant Directors of Sericulture are involved in extension activities
· Assistant Directors head 5 Seed Farms at Avalapally, Kalkondapally, Uddanapally, Kollatty and Madhahally.
· To impart training to departmental staff and farmers, one Tamil Nadu Sericulture Training Institute at Hosur headed by a Deputy Director as Principal / Member-Secretary
· To produce layings, 11 Government grainages at Hosur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Pennagaram, Erode, Coimbatore, Vaniyambadi, Trichy, Talavady, Dindigul and Courtallam; 6 private grainages and 3 NSSO grainages at Hosur, Tiruppathur and Dharmapuri.
· To transact cocoon produced, 19 Government Cocoon markets at Hosur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Pennagaram, Salem, Coimbatore,Udumalpet, Erode, Talavady, Vaniyambadi, Tiruvannamalai, Trichy, Pudhukottai, Sivagangai, Dindigul, Theni, Srivilliputhur, Nannagaram and Nagercoil.
· 2 P1 grainages for production of seed layings at Hosur and Denkanikottai
· To impart training to farmers; to supply saplings and act as model farms, there are 50 Government Silk Farms
· 8 Government reeling units at Hosur, Salem, Vaniyambady, Talavady, Nannagaram, Pudukkottai, Sivagangai and Nagercoil and 3 Government Silk Twisting Units at Hosur, Salem and Tenkasi are functioning as pilot centres.
As of now, there are 167 silk reeling units are functioning in the State. In these reeling units, 1022 devices are functioning under private sector.
· To supply young silkworms, properly reared upto second instar, there are 22 private Chawkie Rearing Centres and 110 Micro CRCs functioning in the State, besides 4 Government Chawkie Silk Farms.
· To procure and sale of silk yarn, a Silk Exchange headed by a Deputy Director, is functioning at Kancheepuram. Tamil Nadu Silk Producers’ Federation (TANSILK), an apex co-operative body with Headquarters at Kancheepuram and with 6 branches at Kancheepuram, Arni, Salem, Kumbakonam, Erode and Coimbatore, is also functioning for the purchase of raw silk & ready silk and supply them to the Handloom Weavers Co-operative Societies and other weaving sectors.